Glencairn is situated in upper Essex County amidst open agricultural fields along US Route 17, “Glencairn” is an excellent example of a modest dwelling built by Virginia planters in the early 18th century. Originally built in 1730 by Thomas Waring Sr., a Colonel in the Virginia Militia, “Glencairn” is a one and one half story wood frame dwelling with clapboard siding and a spacious brick English basement.
The house is flanked by two large handsome brick end chimneys laid in Flemish bond that serve three fireplaces, located on each floor. A wide late 18th century open porch flows across the rear of the house and offers lovely views of the fields and woods and provides a spot for observing local wildlife as well.
The east parlor contains original woodwork, including a lovely dental cornice throughout the room which ties in with the chimney piece that has a high unsupported dental shelf separating two tiers of panels. The entire chimney breast is flanked by a pair of matching Roman Doric pilasters which use the room dental cornice as capitals.
The second floor of the house, which contains several cozy bedrooms has a light and airy feeling due to the five distinctive shed dormers across the front of the dwelling. Noteworthy not only for its handsome appearance, “Glencairn” is distinguished by its rare early framing techniques and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is protected by a Virginia Department of Historic easement.
This estate is offered exclusively by Skipper Garrett with Long & Foster Realtors. Please contact Skipper at 804.435.2673 for more details or to schedule a showing.