The center hall opens to provide a panoramic view of the river and retains its original paneled wainscot and stair with its sculptural railings, balusters, and brackets. Period Virginia maps and 18th century prints by George Edwards are displayed on the walls. The elaborate parlor features the original, fully paneled end wall that is centered with an arched fireplace and fluted pilasters. An elegant eight piece molded cornice with dentils encompasses the room. The dining room also features an arched fireplace, original cornice, and moldings. Two bedrooms with fireplaces are found upstairs. Dixon is designated as a Virginia and National Register landmark, Pebble Beach was built in 2006 and is set to take full advantage of the beautiful view of the Mattaponi River. The house was designed by the owners and has a master bedroom on the first floor as well as three bedrooms upstairs with a balcony and a large game room over the garage. The lovely kitchen has cabinets that were designed by the owners and created from black cherry grown on the property.
The Fary Tavern Building dates back to at least 1800 and a third floor was added between 1850 and 1900. It was used as a hotel and tavern from the mid-19th century until it was purchased by the county in 1941. The county used it for office space until 1999. It was typical to find such buildings at a courthouse because lawyers, litigants and witnesses needed a place to stay during their time in court. The building has been completely renovated by the King and Queen Historical Society and two of the rooms have been furnished to show how patrons would have been accommodated.
Edgewood sits on 334.5 acres of rolling pasture and timber and was built in 1867 by H. R. Pollard, Sr.
Edgewood was built on a tract of land that was called “Clarks”. The owner of this land was the father of George Rogers Clark. This is where the family lived before moving to Albemarle County. It is a disputed question whether the explorer was born in this county or Albemarle. The home is furnished with English and American antiques.
The Bagby House is a circa 1783 frame dwelling farmhouse was built at the end of the Revolutionary War. Three original dependencies remain: a summer kitchen, meat & dairy house, and a one room building with loft used, among other things, as a school house. The home retains many features such as six fireplaces, English basement, and original woodwork and moldings throughout. Modern updates have been sympathetic to the home’s heritage. Among the home’s country furnishings is a collection of Pennsylvania-German style red ware pottery by Breininger and Shooner. Fraktur and folk paintings adorn the walls. And, of course, there is a vast collection of the craftsman-owner’s own primitive woodcarvings.
The King and Queen Courthouse Green Historic District was established in 1998 as a Virginia Landmark and is also on the National Register of Historic Places. Fary’s Tavern (now housing the King and Queen Courthouse and Tavern Museum) is on the tour. An original log schoolhouse, the old Courthouse, the old Clerk’s Office and an old two-room schoolhouse will be open for viewing as well as Immanuel Church, adjacent to the Courthouse Green. The GCMP tour will be held Friday, April 24, 2009 from 10am to 5pm. The full ticket price of $30 includes four houses and gardens and all buildings on the Courthouse Green. Single-site admission is $12. Tickets purchased up until April 17 are only $25 and can be purchased by mail from the Group Tour Chairman, Elizabeth Christeller, 859 Norwood Rd., Bruington, VA 23023. Please include a self-addressed, stamped, legal size envelope with check payable to GCMP. There will be no refunds on early ticket sales. Early tickets may also be purchased for an additional charge by accessing www.VaGardenweek.org until April 23. Tickets with maps may be purchased at any of the locations open for the tour on the day of the tour. Flat walking shoes are advised. Interior photography and smoking are prohibited. There will be complimentary refreshments will be served at Dixon from 2 – 4pm. There are no restaurants in the area. Box lunches are available for $12 on a pre-paid basis by April 13. Reservations may be made by mailing a check to The Woman’s Club of King & Queen County, c/o Mrs. Anne Ryland, P.O. Box 39, St. Stephens Church, VA 23148.